Friday, May 9, 2008

Happy Mother's Day Mom


I am My Mother’s Daughter

Just the other night I said one of my Mother’s favorite lines,
“That is a pig trick.” Jacob had taken a big gulp of milk and then preceded to spit it all back into the cup, spraying it as he went along, he laughed and I used the above line. Mike just giggled, he said you sound just like your Mother. Indeed I did.

As I walked down the staircase at work and happened to quickly glance at the hand on the rail, I found my Mother’s hand there, no not literally, but a hand and thumb that are just like hers, maybe a bit more plump but shape and style all hers.

As I pulled on a faded and worn pair of jeans I thought, I need a new pair. This pair is comfortable, but not stylish, and faded to a whitish blue color. I remember my Mother wearing the same jeans to work day after day, wanting new jeans but knowing that her daughters needed new sneakers, coats, jeans and money for who knows what else. Her needs would wait. Jake and Elijah look pretty stylish in their new hats and spring outfits~mine will wait.

Yes, I understand the frustration of cooking (ok not exactly the home cooked meal like Mom did, but still…) while my husband runs with snacks before dinner. Out of my mouth pops, “I am making dinner!” This was a famous line, Dad would run with saltines and butter, Mike runs with whatever he can grab. Am I really mad, no, he works hard just like my father did, they were hungry~but so are we.

My son cries, he does not feel well. I sit and stroke his hair while he just snuggles and breathes in the smells of Mommy; it gives him comfort. My Mom did this for me in not so many years ago, I still love when she strokes my head and I can smell my Mommy!

Yes, I am my Mother. Am I going to change, hid or do things differently? NO! I am My Mother and I can’t think of any one else I’d rather be!

Happy Mother’s Day Mom.

2 comments:

Scott and Becky said...

Where did I put those tissues? Beautiful Molly - I hope you share that with your Mom this Sunday.

wsweden said...

So sweet! happy Mother's day!