Saturday, June 30, 2007

PERFECTION!


I know it seems silly but this is a slice of perfection!! I have been trying to transition some of Jacob's fluid intake from the bottle to a cup; easier said than done. He is interested, but had a hard time with figuring out how to get the liquid out of the cup~he actually prefers me to give him an open cup that I hold and then do the famous tip and he sips routine. So we tried fancy cups with valves, cups with latex/silicone stems that needed to be sucked; problem being that the stems are way different than a bottle nipple so he didn't quite get it! Today in the dollar store I ran into the aisle with the baby products and saw the sippy cups, the OLD FASHIONED kind that leak when you tip the upside down; BUT the fluid flows from them more like it does from a regular cup, I remembered Michelle saying that Aidan preferred them and did well with them, so we tried it~for a dollar I got 3 cups! Jacob enjoyed his finger feeding himself his quesadilla (sp?) and taking HIS own drink!! It is a charm. He did not throw it in frustration, he can hold the cup~no fancy handles to get in the way and he drank from it just fine!! In fact before I go to bed I will change him again as he drank a lot at dinner enjoying his new found freedom!!!! So in closing I say hooray for the old fashioned sippy cup, no handles, no valves, no fake nipple top just plain old plastic, yes they may leak, but they WORK! Thanks Michelle!!!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

You're welcome! Glad he likes it. You might want to stock up on those. After awhile the spot gets a bit chewed up, but at that price, you can't beat it!

Sue said...

We had the same issue and also found the dollar store ones to be good teaching tools. It's like they don't know how to "work" the other cups. Until they really learn what they are all about it doesn't seem worth their effort. But he'll catch on quick. We used the Avent ones next. The nipples seem to be the closest to a bottle and the easiest to work.

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I am trying to transition my Jacob to a sippy cup, too, but not having too much luck-I will try the Dollar Store cups and see how they work. I did take the no leak valve out of the sippy cup, but he throws it and knocks it off the table and it was a mess. But that was a while ago, maybe now he will be happy to drink from it and not knock it over in frustration!
Dana